Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Wednesday 28 March 2007


It has been a while since there has been a dessert recipe on my blog so here is a new one I invented last night for Gregg Wallace who I am seeing for lunch today and who had requested a toffee cheesecake. Let's hope he likes it! I have not made toffee cheesecake before so this is a bit of an experiment and I should really know better than experimenting on Gregg (lavender duck, thyme sabayon etc)....perhaps I will learn one day!
You will need a 10/12 inch spring form tin, some clingfilm and a deep roasting tray which the tin fits in. Firstly make the cheesecake base:
140grams self-raising flour
1-teaspoon baking powder
25g butter
25g caster sugar
1 egg beaten
1 tablespoons milk
Rub the butter into the flour and baking powder with your finger tips. Fold in the sugar and egg and mix to form a soft dough. If the mixture is too dry add a little milk. Press this mixture over the base of the tin, cover with greaseproof paper and weighdown with some baking beans. Cook at 180oC/Gas Mark 5/Aga roasting oven below a cold shelf for 10 minutes until the dough has risen and the paper lifts away easily. Set aside to cool.

Now for the filling
1 Jar of toffee sauce - Merchant Gourmet or similar
600g cream cheese
140g caster sugar
seeds from 1 vanilla pod
4 eggs
227 grams clotted cream (I use Roddas)

Put all the filling ingredients except the toffee sauce in a blender and blitz until smooth. Wrap the base of the cake tin in plenty of clingfilm to ensure that water won't leak in. Half fill the roasting tin with water. Spoon half of the toffee sauce over the base and then pour over the cheesecake mixture. Place the tin carefully in the roasting tin and slide into the oven. Cook at 150oC/Gas Mark 4 for one hour/Aga roasting oven below a cold shelf for approximately one hour turning half way round. The cheesecake is set when it wobbles when you move the tin and is springy to touch.

Leave to cool in the fridge overnight. Spoon the remaining toffee sauce over the cheesecake and top with white marshmellows, fudge chunks, toffee popcorn and pieces of crunchie bar. Melt 100grams of chololate (1 minute full power in the microwave) and drizzle over the topping. Chill in the fridge until you are ready to serve.

4 comments:

Twelfthknit said...

Hope Greg likes it - if he doesn't, send it to me ;0)
India

Vic said...

OH my goodness! That looks divine. Yum.

I love your recipes. I shall have to be brave and try a few someday. I don't usually do pudding as I seem to burn them! he he

Anonymous said...

Hannah! Don't keep us in suspense! did Gregg like it?

keth
xx

Julia said...

That looks divine!