Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Sunday 18 March 2007


Ok these are good but very naughty. However I make no apologies for this. They are perfect for a day like today when it is freezing cold and snowing (!) and you are in need of a little pick-me-up. I always keep a bag of pecans in my cupboard so that these can be made on the spur of the moment if someone I know is in need of something to lift their spirits.
Buttered caramel pecans
2 egg whites
100grams melted butter
200 grams caster sugar
300 grams whole pecans
1 tsp cinnamon
Whisk the egg whites to form stiff peaks. Fold in the sugar one spoon at a time as if you were making a meringue, whisking until the mixture is smooth and glossy. Stir in the pecans and cinnamon and pour over the melted butter. This will reduce the size of the meringe considerably. Stir to ensure that all the pecans are coated. Pour the pecan mixture onto a baking tray lined with grease proof paper and bake in a moderate oven (Gas Mark 5/180oC) for 25 minutes until caramalized and golden brown. It is important to take the tray out of the oven every 10 minutes and move the pecans around to ensure that they don't burn. Leave to cool. They are very moorish, never last long and are also delicious as a topping on vanilla ice cream.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your recipes are fantastic.
Hannah, please please please will you try and publish a cook book?

Erica from the Netherlands