Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Tuesday 14 August 2007


The weeks seem to be flying by - it only seems like yesterday that my cake recipes were in Country Kitchen and now my smoked salmon recipes are out. Masala Salmon fillets, potted smoked salmon with clarified tarragon butter, caramalized onion and smoked salmon pizza (this one is very yummy!) and salmon and prawn salad. Here is one of the recipes for you to try when you have time!

Masala salmon fillets
Preparation and cooking time 20 minutes
Serves 2
2 skinless salmon fillets
sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil for brushing
10 asparagus spears
100grams smoked salmon, roughly chopped
3 tbsp Masala wine
1 tbsp butter
zest and juice of 1 lemon
100ml double cream

Brush the salmon fillets with the olive oil and season well with the salt flakes and cracked black pepper. Heat a griddle pan until it is very hot and then place the salmon fillets in the pan. Leave them to cook (without moving) until the bottom half of the fillets have become pale pink – depending on how hot your pan is this will take approximately 5 minutes. Turn the salmon fillets over and cook for three minutes until the salmon is a light golden brown and is still soft when you press with your finger.

As soon as you have put the salmon in the pan, begin making the sauce. Bend the asparagus spears so that they break at their natural point. Place in a frying pan with the Masala wine and bring to a gentle simmer for 4 minutes. Add the salmon pieces, lemon juice and simmer for a further 2 minutes. Add the cream and butter and stir until the sauce thickens and season with salt and pepper. To serve, pour the sauce over each salmon fillet and serve with salad and warm new potatoes.

1 comment:

Marie Rayner said...

I find myself thinking this morning that we really don't eat enough salmon. I shall have to try this one!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/