Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Thursday 20 September 2007


Nasturtiums are lovely and very easy to grow - although do not attempt to do so if you have peacocks as they eat them all as I have learned from bitter experience. You can add them to salads or as Kathy Brown does in her book, stuff them with mackerel or salmon pate and serve as a canape - they look so delicious and guests always love them.

For a simple smoked salmon pate, blitz 300grams smoked salmon with the juice of a lemon and some freshly ground black pepper and sea salt in a blender. Slowly add 100ml of double cream whilst the blender is on. Taste and add more lemon or seasoning if necessary. Your pate is ready to serve. It really is that simple! If you are filling the nasturtium flowers, place the pate in a piping bag and pipe a small amount into each flower. Serve straight away otherwise the flowers will wilt.

3 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Very pretty flowers they are and so bright! I have heard they are good eating, although I have yet to eat one. May give your idea a try though!

Anonymous said...

They look beautiful... what a great recipe, so simple but with stacks of "WOW" factor, I love it, thanks. Vida x

Joanna said...

What a lovely idea - I have hardly ever used a piping bag, but think I might for this

Thanks for sharing
Joanna
joannasfood.blogspot.com