Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Thursday 18 October 2007


After much deliberation I decided that it was not too early for mulled wine and we had our first glass on Tuesday evening. It was so lovely and the kitchen smelt like Christmas. There are hundreds of recipes for mulled wine, all equally delicious! We normally spend some time in Copenhagen before Christmas and I love their Glogg with yummy soaked raisins and almonds at the bottom of the mulled wine which you eat with a spoon and the Christmas market in Hamburg serves delicious Gluhwein mit Schuss (an extra shot of snaps) - very potent!
I make my mulled with with 2 bottles of red wine, 1 carton of orange juice (no bits), 2 lemons and 2 oranges sliced, a large slug of brandy (as much as you can spare!) 2 heaped tablespoons of sugar and three cinnamon sticks and approx 15 cloves (or a mulled wine spice bag from the supermarket - I always have a few in just in case). Simmer gently and taste - you may need to add more sugar if it is not sweet enough or more orange juice if it is too alcoholic! Perfect for a bonfire party which is not far off!

5 comments:

Vida said...

It really does beckon... wish I was there!!! Vida x

Celia Hart said...

Mmmmm! I love the smell of mulled wine!
Isn't Copenhagen the perfect place to get in the Christmas spirit! Cliff took me on a special day trip a few years ago. Do you visit the elves in their Winter Wonderland in the Tivoli Gardens? (It was raining - we just had to take shelter!!!) Great shops too and lunch in the lovely D'Angleterre Hotel - I think I'll check out the flights now!

Celia :)

Jules said...

I love mulled wine.

Figs, Bay, Wine said...

Ahhh, my favorite drink for my favorite time of year. Never been to Copenhagen, but it's somewhere I'd love to visit, and Christmas sounds the nicest time to go.

Steven Cornwall said...

The rule in our house is that mulled wine should be enjoyed for the first time each year on Guy Fawkes! Only started the tradition 4 years ago but all traditions have to start somewhere!