Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Friday 9 November 2007

I always feel a sense of achievement when I manage to use left overs to make something yummy. This was a "baked apple" cake I made earlier in the week using 4 baked apples and their syrup which were left over from our bonfire party. It was so moist and yummy and it made me wonder why I had never made a cake like this before! So next time you make baked apples, add a few extra apples to your tin and use them to make this cake.

Baked Apple Cake

4 baked apples - mine were baked with a mincemeat filling and golden syrup
8oz caster sugar
8oz butter or marg
8oz self raising flour
4 large eggs
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp sour cream

Line and grease a 10inch cake tin. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time and then gently add the flour, cinnamon and sour cream. In a separate bowl, remove the apple skins and mix together the soft apple and any remaining syrup. Fold the apple mixture into the cake batter and pour into the tin. Bake at Gas Mark 5/190oC/Aga Roasting oven below a cold shelf for 40/50mins until the cake is firm to touch. If the cake starts to brown too much before the cake is cooked cover the top with foil.

5 comments:

Abitofafoodie said...

What a fantastic idea. I love baked apples almost as much as I love cake and can imagine the two combined are divine. I also love stuffing them with mincemeat - next time I'll follow your advice and add a few extra so I can make this cake!

Anonymous said...

This sounds lovely! I love the sour cream in it as well. Great baking here :)

Joanna said...

Brilliant idea!

Marie Rayner said...

Ohh Yumm! Another use for leftover baked apples! Great idea Hannah!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

I made this yesterday. It was really good. We have had to put half of it in the freezer to prevent us gorging too much!

Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Sally
x