Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Tuesday 20 November 2007


It is not often that I have moments of finesse in my cooking as those of you who watched Masterchef will be well aware. I know that this is something that I really should aspire to as it was the constant criticism (albeit constructive) that I received from John and Gregg but I rarely have the time and for me taste is the most important thing. Occasionally I do make something bordering on elegant - this is a pudding I made for a supper party recently. A Sauternes's jelly with suspended gold leaf and a panne cotte with damson compote. The flavours went really well together and scored highly with the guests on presentation!

9 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Lovely looking desserts Hannah! I think sometimes we get so caught up in the "presentation" of things that we forget that pure and simple is quite often the nicest presentation of all. Your two deserts are perfect proof of that little simple truth.

David Hall said...

Hannah, as you know from the similar grief I took from Mr Torode, we are two un-refined peas from the same un-refined pod. Who cares - as you say, as long as it tastes delicious. And I know that your grub is delicious as I've tasted it. On the other hand, these look very nice. Very un-Hannah like!

Cheers
David x

Charlotte Hume said...

How did you do the gold leaf ?
amazing

Celia Hart said...

Hi Hannah - beautiful simply stylish desserts! Jellies seem to be having a revival at the moment - and well deserved! And what a fantastic combo - damson and panne cotte - I'm imagining the visual thrill of mixing the cream and purple into swirls!!!!!

Celia
x

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

I was going to ask the same question as Charlotte? How did you suspend the gold leaf? Very elegant. My favourite things that you do are the birthday and celebration cakes - I LOVE THEM and if it's alright with you I will steal your ideas for my boys birthday cakes.

Hannah said...

Suspending the gold leaf takes a little bit of patience! When you have put your jelly in you glass leave it for a few minutes to start to set. Put a piece of gold leaf on top on poke down with a knife it will sink to the bottom and then start rising to the top. Every time it gets to the top poke it down again - after a few minutes the jelly will have set more and the gold leaf will stay in the middle! It is fiddly but worth it!

Amanda flattered that you are going to make some of the cakes for your boys - do post up photos and let me know won't you as I would love to see!

Vida said...

Hannah, I am with you... I know my food tastes good so I forget about presentation but I have notice once I put more effort into "the look" suddenly I had lots more people commenting on my blog so I think we should just try to find a medium... Love your work!!! Vida x

Anonymous said...

Brava, Hannah!

Squishy said...

You have finesse, I saw lots of it on Masterchef and on your blog ;)