Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Monday 11 February 2008

Friday saw the Chinese New Year celebration of the Year of the Rat. My Dad's birthday present from us was to attend the Chinese New Year Dragon Dance dinner at our favourite chinese restaurant - Taipan in Milton Keynes (definitely worth a visit for dim sum on Saturday or Sunday lunch if you are in the area). The dragon dance was spectacular with loud drumming that seemed to go on forever - it was quite hypnotic! We were also visited by the money God - I think all of us were secretly hoping that by giving our gift envelopes, we would be lucky and win the Euromillions lottery - sadly not! The food was of course delicious, with tempura and duck pancakes, dim sum, scallops and my all time favourite, crispy shredded chilli beef! Happy Chinese New Year!

2 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Ohh, it looks like you had a wonderful time. I have never been to a Dragon Dance or a Chinese New Year celebration. It looks like a lot of fun!

Milhan said...

As a child, I remember one time going to Chinatown in NYC for a New Year celebration. I recall being terrified by the dragon and all of the fire crackers! Probably not the best of memories, but it's what I got, lol.

On a positive note, duck pancakes...yum.