Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Monday 18 February 2008

Today is cold! I got in my car to take Sacha to the station this morning and the temperature outside was -9 C - I don't think I ever remember it being -9 here! Luckily our heating is now fixed (we tragically ran out of oil on Valentine's Day which put an end to my romantic dinner and I was forced to have a hot water bottle in my office - it was THAT cold!) so I can now enjoy the frosty scenes outside from the warmth of my office. Today I have the photographer coming to take photos for 4 articles - a lot of baking happened yesterday! My favourites are these little flower pot cakes which I made by chance with a bit of left over cake batter, just to see if they would work. I think these would make a wonderful wedding cake for garden lovers, served in tiers with different coloured flowers!

7 comments:

Rita said...

Wow, how cool is that. Really pretty Hannah! You must have been soooo cold!! The frost was really pretty this morning.

Anonymous said...

Love days like this . Not sure it was that cold in Berkshire !!! But sunrise was magical . Susan

Celia Hart said...

Iron hard gound this morning! I didn't check the temperature but it looked very chilly. Oh my goodness Hannah!!!! no heating at the coldest time of year! I've invested in a pair of Celtic Sheepskin house boots - my brain only works when my toes are cosy!

I love those little flower pot cakes - a Victorian conservatory iron plant stand full of flower pot cakes for everyone would be a gorgeous Wedding or Anniversary Cake idea. Especially if you held the reception in an orangery - what fun!

Celia
x

Milhan said...

Those flower pots are adorable - what a great idea!

I almost hate to say this, but it was 62F (about 16C) this morning when I took my daughter to rehearsal. This is unusually warm for the Northeast in February...but I am not complaining :)

Browners said...

That is cold! Thank god I was on a nice warm underground train! It's not often you hear people raving about having a cosy commute!

Your little pots are so sweet. Mum would adore them. How did the photography go?

Marie Rayner said...

I think you are right about those flower pot cakes. They would make fabulous little wedding cakes for a garden lover! It's pretty cold here today as well. The boiler broke down in the big house yesterday and we were all freezing at work, even for me in the kitchen as unfortunately yesterday the AGA decided to shut down as well!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

Brrrrr - that really is cold!

Gorgeous cakes, as ever...