Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Thursday 6 March 2008

With the snow gone and lots of flowers in the garden, it feels as if spring has arrived. You can crystallize primroses in the same way as violet and rose petals. Whisk an egg white until fluffy and then using a small paint brush, brush the egg white on to the primrose petals and place in a bowl of caster sugar, covering the flower completely. Gently remove the flower and place on baking parchment on a tray. Leave to dry overnight in a warm place (airing cupboard, on top of an aga, or in a low oven that you have just turned off) . Use them to decorate spring time cupcakes or a lemon syllabub.

2 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

You can tell spring is here from the smell of burning applewood in the air. Yes the farmer who owns the orchards is busy burning all the trimmings from the recent prunings. All the earth is coming alive as are the primroses that surround our country cottage. It's a lovely sight!

Rita said...

Lovely Hannah! Thanks - will give it a try. I am just so ready for Spring! The daffodils and crocuses (sp) are out for a time now and I so enjoy them!