Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Friday 30 May 2008

Welsh Rarebit Crumpets

I love crumpets – they are an ideal standby to have in the freezer. They are perfect as a base for Welsh Rarebit or egg bread as the holes soak up the egg mixture much better than a slice of bread. This is a very easy snack to prepare.

Serves 1, Preparation time 5 minutes and grilling 8 - 10 minutes
2 crumpets
40g cheddar cheese, grated
1 large egg
1 tsp whole grain mustard
Salt and pepper for seasoning
A good dash of Worcestershire sauce

In a bowl, whisk together the cheese, egg, mustard and Worcestershire sauce and season with salt and pepper. Place the crumpets under a hot grill and toast on both sides for a few minutes. Spoon half the cheese mixture on to each crumpet and grill until golden brown. If using an aga, this will take slightly longer. Serve immediately.

(Photo courtesy of www.aroundbritainwithapaunch.blogspot.com - thanks Jonathan)

5 comments:

Sylvie said...

I have never thought of using crumpets, but of course they are the perfect choice.

Marie Rayner said...

Looks delicious! I am a firm believer in using crumpets for things like this. I did crumpet pizzas on my blog not too long ago that were mighty tasty too. I shall have to give this version of yours a try!

Browners said...

Hey Hannah!

Glad you used the photo. I thought it looked familiar! Have you found yourself a new camera yet?

Cowie and I got Memed a while ago and have tagged you

http://aroundbritainwithapaunch.blogspot.com/2008/06/meme-5-things-about-us.html

When are we next going to meet up? Seems like ages!

Hope all's well. I love Gareth and Amy's blog. Inspired.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love crumpets even just slathered with butter. This brings them into a new light:D

Abitofafoodie said...

What a great idea to use crumpets for Welsh Rarebit. I must try to remember this next time I've got some crumpets in. How delicious.