Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Friday 8 August 2008

September's Country Kitchen is out and I thought I would share with you one of my recipes from my Cooking for One column!

Baked Gingerbread Apple

Although this apple dessert takes a while to cook, the preparation time is minimal and therefore worth the effort. It is a lovely treat for a cold autumn evening by the fireside with a mug of hot chocolate and marshmallows.

Serves 1, preparation time 5 minutes, cooking 50 – 60 minutes

1 large cooking apple, cored

1 slice of gingerbread, crumbed

½ tsp ground ginger

1 tbsp raisins or sultanas

2 tbsp golden syrup

2 tbsp water

Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5/190C/375F. Using a sharp knife, score a line around the apple. This will prevent the apple skin from splitting during cooking. Place the apple in an oven proof dish, mix together the gingerbread crumbs, ground ginger and raisins and fill the centre of the apple with the mixture. Spoon the golden syrup over the apple and add the water to the dish. Bake in the oven for 50 - 60 minutes until the apple is soft. Serve with cream or custard if you wish.


1 comment:

Marie Rayner said...

Ohh, that sounds delicious Hannah! gingerbread and apples, two of my very favouritest of things!