Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Friday 24 October 2008

The feathered friends in my life have been giving me cause to smile this week. Whilst every chicken I have ever had has enjoyed dust bathing, I have not have hens before who sunbathe. When I went into the garden the other day they we all lying under the apple tree basking in the sun, some even lying on their side with their legs streched out. Now there must be a reason for this 1) they suffer from S.A.D. and were making the most of the last summer days of autumn 2) they have all eaten too much porridge to be able to wander round the garden and now just lie around all day 3) they were trying to make the pheasants jealous by demonstrating what a lovely and relaxing life they have. This is Cerys (the name sake of David Hall from Masterchef's little Cerys) basking in the sun. Perhaps this is just normal chicken behaviour and I have just not spotted them doing it before!

The peahen is also becoming very tame and now sits at my office window all day, occasionally tapping on the glass for something to eat. With the window open, she looked ready to come right in!

7 comments:

Celia Hart said...

Our 'under-gardeners' love sun bathing too! It's great to see them in a sunny corner with legs stretched and wings held out to catch the rays.

What breed is Cerys? I love her colouring - is she a Cream Legbar?

Celia
x

Hannah said...

Hi Celia
She is a Dorking Legbar Cross and lays lovely blue eggs
Glad to know my hens aren't abnormal with their sunbathing!!
Hoep you are well
Hannah
xxx

David Hall said...

Cerys LOVES Cerys! Nice one Hannah x

Milhan said...

I think we should all take a tip from your hens, and enjoy the last warm days of Autumn, stretched out in the sun, without a care in the world! :)

Anonymous said...

My ex-batt girls LOVE to sunbathe, they make the most of it whenever it's out (especially so this year). They stretch their wings out and display their ankle. Looks so relaxing and no word but 'basking' seems appropriate!

Marie Rayner said...

Cerys is a very beautiful hen! How comforting and cosy to have hen's and peahens sunning themselves in your garden. I can only wish. I think my boss would have a fit if we got some chickens, but I would so love to have a few!

Anonymous said...

Our motley crew of bantams all sunbathe,at first when I saw them do it I thought they were ill.But no,if they can find a warm spot they're all at it,like spinsters out on a day at the seaside...