Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Wednesday 12 November 2008

Sometimes it is hard to blog when you are feeling sad and you may have noticed that my posting has been rather remiss over the last week or so. My beloved Grandma passed away the weekend before last and we all miss her very much. I hadn't wanted to write about it for fear of making everyone sad, but, having had time to reflect, I have so much to be grateful to my Grandma for that it feels wrong to not mention her as she was such a big influence on my life.

When I was on Masterchef, my Grandma was sooooo proud and told everyone that she had taught me everything I know. Now although I am not sure that my Mum would agree with this (as she taught me everything I know), I certainly learnt a lot of cooking tips from my Grandma and thought that I would share a few of these with you now:
1. When you have cooked bacon, drain the fat into a tupperware box and store in the fridge. Cook scrambled eggs in a spoonful of this fat for the most delicious eggs ever.
2. Simmer peeled whole onions for 10 minutes and then add to your roasting tin with your roast. After an hour they have a delicious caramel flavour.
3. Grandma's Christmas pudding recipe is the best I know but I am of course biased - the recipe is here on an earlier post. I know that when we stir it and make our wishes this year, we will all be thinking of her
4. Roast halved red plums in the oven for 30 minutes with a few tbsp of water and a drizzle of honey. These are lovely hot with custard or cold with natural yoghurt. A super easy pudding
5. Rose and Violet creams are the food of the Gods - it was my Grandma who introduced me to these and I use rose and violet a lot in my cooking now so this is definitely down to her.
6. Grandma's rock cakes - these were scrumptious and made it into my book. I am so pleased now that the publishers have let me call them Grandma's rock cakes!

18 comments:

Celia Hart said...

I'm so sad to read this Hannah - she was obviously a very special lady. It's lovely that she could share your success.

Take care
Celia
x

Milhan said...

I'm so very sorry to hear this. Thank you for sharing what she means to you. You are very lucky to have had such a special person in your life.

Milhan

Joanna said...

So sorry to hear this Hannah - what a lovely tribute to her ... and you have so many ways to remember her, particularly in your cooking.

Joanna

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This is a beautiful tribute to your Grandmother Hannah and to her legacy. She will clearly be sadly missed:D

Tammy said...

Oh Hannah, I am sorry to hear of the passing of your Grandmother. It sounds like you have some fabulous memories though!

David Hall said...

We are really sorry to hear that news Hannah. Our thoughts are with you all at this sad time.

Thoughts David, Helen and Cerys x

Anonymous said...

Dear Hannah,

In the spirit of feeling like you know people who you see on tv and whose blogs you read, my sincere condolences! I think it's lovely that a bit of your grandmother lives on through your cooking, and indeed through this blog you can share that with the rest of us!

Fondly, Marina

Hannah said...

Thank you all so much for your lovely messages - they really mean a lot to me
Hannah
xxx

Gloria Baker said...

Dear Hannah, Im sad by your lost of your Grand Ma, but Im sure she is looking you from the heaven and you have all these lovely memories from her.
Yes, sometimes is so difficult blogging about our feelings !!I hope you will be better soon. Gloria

Anonymous said...

Dear Hannah - I'm so sorry for your loss. I think about my dear Grandad (my last grandparent) more now, 15 years after his death, than ever before. She sounds and looks a lovely lady who will stay in your hearts and memories forever. Love to you xx

Anonymous said...

So sad to hear this Hannah, I too lost my beloved grandmother at the beginning of October, and it knocked me sideways a bit: http://www.smallestsmallholding.com/nannies-afternoon-tea/

We did afternoon tea in honour of her, as her birthday was a few days after she died http://www.smallestsmallholding.com/nannies-afternoon-tea/

Like you , the way I'm trying to keep her close is to keep doing the things that she taught me, and the things we loved. That way, she stays with me forever.

Anonymous said...

sorry two links, forgot to take one out....

Marie Rayner said...

:-( So sorry to hear about your grandma Hannah. This has been a lovely tribute to her. It's obvious that you loved her very much and that she was also very proud of you. You can't beat that!
((((hugs))))

Stately As Two Galleons said...

Dear Hannah,

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your Grandma and would like to send my condolences to you and your family.

I'm echoing the words in previous comments but your post really has been a wonderful tribute to her - a unique way to commemorate a special person.

Love,

Stately

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandma. I can't imagine how hard it must be when you've had so many years of wonderful memories. I bet she was the proudest Grandma knowing how successful you've become. Cherish the memories you have forever.

Take care, Catherine x

Anonymous said...

Dear Hannah, as a reader of your blog, I'm both touched by your willingness to share this personal time and am sorry for your loss. My sister and I will offer prayers of peace and condolences for you and yours. Your grandmother sounds like a soul and life to be celebrated.

Hannah said...

I just wanted to say how touched I am by all your comments and love and support. It means so much, not only to me but to my family to see the lovely things you have written and to know that you all care.
For the bottom of my heart, thank you
Hannah
xxxx

Miss H: said...

I am sorry to hear about your Grandma. I do agree with her thoughts on rose and violet creams. They are amazing!