Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Wednesday 31 December 2008

We have just been on a family holiday to Suffolk - it has been a long time since our last family holiday (so long ago that I can't even remember the last time) and it was so nice to spend proper time with everyone. We all visited Southwold - one of Mum's and my favourite places. Despite the bracing wind, we enjoyed the pier, with its wonderful water clock and the mechanical museum (Sacha got slobbered on by a mechanical dog and my Aunt tried out the Keep Fit machine - I don't think we have laughed so much in ages). We also went to the lovely old Harbour Inn and played in the penny arcades like we did when we were children. It is amazing how long £1 will last on the 2pence waterfall machines - we kept trying to loose all our money so we could leave and kept winning just when we thought we were done. In the end it took a team effort of all 10 of us to get rid of the final coins! We also had our traditional Wishing Well - this has been in our family for a long time (at least as far back as my Mum's Grandma) - a basket filled with little presents for every one which is normally had on Boxing Day to extend Christmas at little further! We impose a £5 limit and everyone bought something little for everyone else - we ended up with 9 wonderful presents each. Gareth gave Sacha some chive and onion flavoured crickets (yuk) but we got our revenge by getting the hotel to make some petit fours with them in which Gareth ate without realising until it was too late (we cried with laughter and luckily my brother saw the funny side!!!)

6 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

It has been a pleasure to get to know you over the past year Hannah. I look forward to so many more tasty dishes in 2009 and our continued friendship. Good luck with the cookbook release as well!!!!An exciting year to come!!!!!

Marie Rayner said...

Happy New Year Hannah! This will be a wonderful year for you with your Book coming out and all. I can't wait to get my hands on it! Sounds like you had a lovely holiday away! All the best to you and yours in 2009!

Aileen said...

Dear Hannah
I'm home alone today, because of my lealth issues, so trawling around the blogs. So loved this entry, and relived our holiday nr Southwold,about 4yrs ago.We had to wait awhile for the clock, but loved it. Could feel the Cold Brrr!
Happy New Year to you and yours..
Aileen...X

Celia Hart said...

There's nothing like a bracing walk on a Suffolk sea-front in winter! I'm sure you all laughed like drains - and it did you all a power of good :-)

Have a wonderful 2009!

Celia
x

Milhan said...

Sounds like great fun!

Happy New Year Hannah! I've enjoyed "cooking and baking" with you throughout this past year. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us! I wish you and yours all the best in 2009.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!

I know Southwold, as I've been there many times since I was kneehigh to a grasshopper (actually, I'm more familiar with Walberswick, but Southwold is just a stone's throw away!). I thoroughly recommend the chip shop near the beach at Dunwich too!