Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Friday 17 July 2009

I have been in Bavaria for the last few days on a work trip. Now although not quite as nice as being on a holiday - it was lovely to be in Germany and see the wonderful countryside. I have never seen hops growing before and the area we were in was the main hop growing area of Germany. They looked almost like something from Day of the Triffieds - enormously tall and covering huge areas of the countryside. Hops meant delicious local beer and it was the Pfifferlinger (Chanterelle) Mushroom season so we feasted on delicious mushrooms with schnitzel, mushrooms with dumplings - so many mushrooms that I could almost be turning into one - washed down with Radler (Shandy!!!)! We had been booked into a very strange hotel - so strange that our rooms we in the attic of the next door hospital so we had to climb three flights of stairs past the wards to our rooms. I opened my bedroom door to be greeted by a long corridor with several rooms of beds off - there were even two beds in the little kitchen room and one made up in the corridor - it was VERY strange, but made us laugh a lot - I am sure it was a hospital ward!!! The only downside to the trip was that my tickets for Harry Potter on Wednesday had to go to waste as I was away and so I am very much looking forward to seeing it this weekend! Have a good weekend everyone xxx

3 comments:

The Curious Cat said...

I love Bavaria - it is so quaint and so gorgeous! I've spent very little time there but I am determined to go back sometime soon and rent a little cottage. I'm so jealous of your mushroom eating - I love fresh mushrooms! They must have been so delcious! Sorry to hear you missed Harry Potter though...still it will be on when you get back!

Rita said...

Your accommodation made me laugh out loud! At least you got to eat good food!

Snowy said...

Bavaria is such an interesting part of Germany. What a weird hotel you had, but as Rita said, at least you ate some good food.