Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Tuesday 29 December 2009

With all this chilly weather there is nothing I like more than slow roasted food. Red cabbage is one of those dishes that improves the longer you cook it. Delicious with this slices of roast pork and baked savoury apples.

Cranberry Cabbage
Served 8 - 10

1 small red cabbage, finely chopped
4 small apples, peeled cored and sliced
2 small onions, finely sliced
2 handfuls of fresh cranberries
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp ground allspice
250ml red wine
100ml sherry
3 tbsp sherry or red wine vinegar
100g caster sugar
60g butter, cubed

Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 2. In a large casserole dish, layer the cabbage, apples, onions and cranberries so that they are evenly distributed. Add the cinnamon, spices, wine, sherry, vinegar and sugar and stir well. Place the cubes of butter on top of the dish, cover and bake for 2 - 3 hours until the cabbage is soft. This cabbage freezes well.

1 comment:

Livet i Fattighuset said...

Thank you for all the inspiration you have given me in 2009. I look foreward to more food and countrylife on your blog next year.

I wish you a lovely New Years Eve! And a 2010 full of exitement and joy.

All the best!
Marie