Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Friday 19 March 2010

Mocha Pretzel Cookies


This is one of my recipes features in the latest Country Kitchen magazine - click here for a link to the magazine. Pretzels and crisps in a biscuits may sound odd, but trust me - the salt and chocolate work REALLY well!!!

Preparation time 15 minutes, Baking time 10 – 15 minutes
Makes 15 - 18

1tbsp instant coffee granules
1 tbsp boiling water
125g/4oz butter, softened
115g/3½oz caster sugar
200g/7oz plain flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
60g/2oz plain salted pretzels
30g/1oz ready salted crisps
100g/3½oz white chocolate chips
200g/7oz plain chocolate, chopped into chunks
60g/2oz shelled pistachios

Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180°C/350°F and grease and line two large baking trays. Dissolve the coffee in the boiling water and set aside to cool. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and caster sugar with an electric hand mixer or whisk. Add the flour and baking powder, cooled coffee mixture, egg and vanilla and whisk again to form a soft dough. Add the pretzels, crisps, white and plain chocolate and pistachios and whisk again so that everything is incorporated. The pretzels and crisps will break up as you mix. Place tablespoonfuls of the cookie mixture onto the trays about 3cm/1 inch apart as they will spread a little during cooking and bake for 10 – 15 minutes until golden brown on top but still slightly soft in the middle. Allow to cool on the trays for a few minutes then transfer to a rack to cool completely.

1 comment:

sadie said...

you are right, choccy pretzels are yummy. I remember several years ago now, when you could buy packets of choccy covered pretzels, they were scrummy. Haven't seen them for years though, I don't think you can get them anymore :o( I'll have to have a good look at the recipe, I bought CK the other day.

Have a super weekend :O)