Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Tuesday 25 May 2010

I have always loved the Thai Hot and Sour Soup. When I have made it in the past I alway use coconut milk but the recipe I have learnt this holiday is made with evapourated milk, which I normally only use for ice cream bases and rice pudding. I have to say any reservations and using evapourated milk was dispelled the minute I tasted this soup. It is delicious!

Tom Yam Ghoong

Serves 2

750ml chicken stock

5 kaffir lime leaves (deveined and shredded)

1 cm piece of galangal, finely sliced

60ml fish sauce

1 stalk lemongrass, top and bottom removed, finely sliced

1 shallot, peeled and finely sliced

1 green and 1 red chilli, whole but sliced through lengthwise

10 mushrooms, halved

12 shelled prawns, deveined

1 tsp chilli paste

1 tsp sugar

1 tbsp lime juice

125ml evapourated milk

2 tbsp chopped corriander leaves

Place the stock in a sauepan, add the lime leaves, galangal, fishsauce, lemongrass, chopped shallot, chillies and mushrooms and simmer for 5 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse. Add the prawns, chilli paste, sugar, lime juice and evapourated milk and simmer for 5 minutes until the rawns are cooked through. Taste for balance of flavours and add a little more fishsauce, lime juice or sugar if needed. Add the coriander to serve.

1 comment:

Brownieville Girl said...

Sounds fantastic. Wish I could get lime leaves here.