Welcome

Reaching the final of Masterchef 2007 was a rollercoaster of emotion, with huge highs and lows, but I loved every minute and learnt a huge amount. I owe a great deal to John and Gregg who had faith in my ability when I did not believe in myself. Since competing on the programme my life has changed considerably. I now write cookery columns for two magazines, give cookery demonstrations and am just working on my 13th cook book - unlucky number for some but not for me!!! I love all forms of country cooking, using seasonal and locally sourced produce. This blog is to enable me to share with you a few of my recipes and baking ideas. Enjoy Hannah xxxx

Wednesday 11 August 2010

My friend Lucy, who is allergic to wheat, is off on holiday to Scotland. These are some cookies I baked for her to take in the car with them, adapted from my anzac biscuit recipe. I should point out (thanks Twilth Night Knitter for the prompt) that not all people who are allergic to wheat can eat oats so you need to check before serving them. You can substitute regular flour if you prefer.

Oaty Gluten Free Cookies
150g/5 1/4oz butter
3 tbsp golden syrup
170g/6oz porridge oats
85g/3oz dessicated coconut
60g/2oz flaked coconut
115g/4oz caster sugar
115g/4oz gluten free self raising flour (I use Doves)
Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180C/350F and grease and line three baking sheets. I use silicon mats for biscuits like these as they ensure the biscuits don't stick at all. Melt the butter and syrup in a saucepan. Mix together all the remaining ingredients and pour over the melted butter mixture, stiring well so everything is incorporated. If you want your biscuits to spread out quite a lot (we liked these best as they were buttery and very thin) make 24 small mounds (about walnut size) on the trays whilst the mixture is still warm and bake stright away. If you prefer a more cookie type biscuit (we still thought these were yummy) then leave the mixture to cool completely before making the 24 mounds on the trays - these do not spread as much as the warm cookie mixture. Bake for about 10 - 15 minutes until the cookie are golden - watch closely towards the end of cooking as they can go brown very quickly. Leave to cool on the trays and then transfer to a tin to store. Lucy gave these a thumbs up - she is my gluten free food barometer!

1 comment:

Twelfthknit said...

They look great....but re the gluten free, I think this website has some useful info.
http://www.csaceliacs.org/InfoonOats.php